College of Education and Human Development wordmark.
Institute of Child Development wordmark.

B.S./B.A. in child psychology

Study behavioral development across the lifespan. Complete coursework in topic areas including social and emotional development, cognitive development, language development, emotional and behavioral disorders, biological development, and research methods.

Our child psychology undergraduate program is offered through the College of Liberal Arts.

  • Take classes with field-leading faculty in the #1 ranked developmental psychology program in the nation (U.S. News and World Report, 2018).
  • Prepare for graduate study or a meaningful career in a field that impacts the lives of children and youth.
  • Have the opportunity to study abroad and experience child development across cultures through classes and internships in places like France, Denmark, London, or Australia.
  • Join the Child Psychology Student Organization to connect with other child psychology students and engage with our surrounding community.


of students complete directed research with a faculty member or a field study experience

Choose your degree path

Bachelor of arts (B.A.)

Build a liberal arts foundation that includes a second language requirement. Take courses in developmental psychology and complete a field study or directed experience to apply what you learn. Learn more

Bachelor of science (B.S.)

Pursue a degree with a stronger emphasis on research. Replace the second language requirement with additional courses in development psychology. Complete a field study and directed research experience in the field of developmental psychology. Learn more


Take classes in social and cognitive development. A minor in child psychology is often paired with majors like psychology, neuroscience, sociology, family social science, early childhood education, or business. Learn more

Meet your advisor

We're here to answer any questions you have about the program.

Meghan Allen Eliason
I meet with undergraduate students to discuss program requirements and career goals. I am excited to get to know you and help you along your path. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with questions.

Academic advisor: Meghan Allen Eliason
Get in touch:


With a degree in child psychology, you'll be prepared for graduate study or for a career in fields like health care, science, education, business, consulting, marketing, nonprofit, human services, and social justice.

Our alumni have pursued careers including:

  • Behavioral Therapist Aide - Partners in Excellence
  • Program Coordinator - Meridian Services
  • Child Development Specialist - Recovery Resource Center
  • Mental Health Associate - Allina Abbott Northwestern Hospital
  • Special Education Paraprofessional - Independent School District 197
  • Child Care Teacher - Encompass Early Education and Care
  • Health & Benefits Consulting Analyst - Mercer
  • Marketing Assistant - University of Minnesota
  • Domestic And Sexual Violence Advocate - Cornerstone Advocacy Services
  • Youth Response Center Leader - The Bridge for Youth
  • Parks and Recreation Leader - City of Hopkins and Minnetonka
  • Child Protection Social Worker - Hennepin County Child Protection

Find out more about careers in child psychology.

Tuition and funding

Visit OneStop Student Services to learn more about tuition and financing.

Visit the College of Liberal Arts (CLA) financial aid and scholarships page to find out more about CLA-specific opportunities.

Anne D. Pick Award for Outstanding Child Development Major

The Anne D. Pick Award honors Professor Anne Pick’s commitment to undergraduate students and their education. Students who major in child psychology at ICD are eligible to receive the Anne D. Pick award. Recipients of the award receive a certificate and a scholarship of $500 and up to $250 in travel/research funds. Students also have their name inscribed on a plaque at ICD. Students who have reached their maximum financial aid award are not eligible for the $500 scholarship, but will be eligible for up to $750 in travel/research funds. Learn more

How to apply

Freshman admissions

Freshman admissions are handled through the University Admissions Office.

Additional deadline information

Application checklist

Transfer admissions

If you're interested in transferring to CLA, review their transfer admissions website.

You're considered a transfer student if you're a high school graduate who has registered or enrolled at a college, university, or any other school after graduating from high school. Current UMN students who are not in CLA are also considered transfer students.

Declare or add a major

Are you a current CLA student who is ready to declare your major or a student in another UMN college who would like to add a child psychology major? Click here to schedule an appointment with ICD Academic Advisor Meghan Allen Eliason. When scheduling your appointment, be sure to include a note about which college you're currently enrolled in and whether you plan to declare a B.A. or B.S. degree.

Are you interested in taking an undergraduate child psychology course but aren't a student at the University of Minnesota? Visit OneStop Student Services to learn more about how to register.