Online graduate certificate in infant and early childhood mental health (Graduate credit)
You’re eligible to apply if you:
- hold at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a related area, such as child development, social work, or child psychology.
- have at least two years of experience in early childhood research or practice.
We’re here to help. Get in touch with our student services team: firstname.lastname@example.org
As the associate director of curriculum and student services at ICD, I’m happy to advise and serve students looking to pursue further studies in developmental psychology. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with questions.
Academic advisor: Lindsey Jendraszak
Before you begin
Before you begin the online application, gather the following materials:
- Unofficial transcripts: You must submit an unofficial transcript or academic record for each institution you’ve attended.
- Personal statement: Describe your interest in the infant and early childhood mental health field. You should also explain how the certificate program training may be related to your previous training or experience and to your future career goals. (Limit 500 words)
- Diversity statement: Briefly describe the range of diversity in the children (ages 0-5) and families you work with and how your work reflects an awareness of cultural differences. Each individual or family represents a unique constellation of experiences and culture. Diversity may encompass age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, socioeconomic status, country of origin, religious or spiritual beliefs, physical characteristics, motor or cognitive abilities, family constellation, or other differences for purposes of this application. (Limit 200 words)
- Two letters of recommendation: Identify and get contact information for two people who will serve as your recommenders. We suggest that you seek recommendations from a college instructor, advisor, or mentor, and an employer. current or former professors who can assess your potential for graduate work.
- Resume or CV
- Application fee: $75. Must be paid online with a credit card.
- Copies of your current professional licenses or credentials: You have the option to submit copies of any professional licenses or credentials you currently hold.
- Irving B. Harris Diversity Scholarship Statement: The Irving B. Harris Foundation promotes equity of academic and life outcomes for all children by enabling access to comprehensive, high-quality care in nurturing environments for pregnant women, very young children, and families. To apply for the Harris scholarship, write a statement on how your background and experiences will support their mission (Limit 500 words). This scholarship is only available to Minnesota residents.
Steps to complete online application
Begin or resume the online application. Be sure to save your password so you can work on the application over time. Once your application is submitted, you can't make changes.
Complete the following sections of the online application:
- Program selection: Choose the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus from the drop-down menu. Then, choose "Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health-Certificate" from the program selection drop-down menu.
- Term selection: We only accept and review applications for the fall term.
- Biographical information: Complete the biographical information section.
- Personal background: Complete the personal background section.
- Academic history: Complete the academic history section. Be sure to list all colleges and universities you've attended. Upload unofficial transcripts for each institution.
- Test scores: We don't require GRE scores. Upload your TOEFL test scores, if necessary. We also must have an official copy of your scores on file. Send test scores to institution code 6874.
- Employment section: Leave this section blank. You'll be asked to upload a resume/CV later in the application.
- Materials: This is where you'll upload all the supporting materials for your application.
- Personal statement (required for all students)
- Diversity statement (required for all students)
- Extenuating circumstances: If you'd like to provide an explanation of circumstances that contributed to your test scores or GPA, please do so.
- Other materials:
- Resume/CV: Upload your resume/CV (required for all students).
- Graduation Program Additional Material: If you'd like to apply for a Harris scholarship, please upload your scholarship statement. If you'd like to submit copies of your current professional licenses or credentials, please do so in this section.
- All other materials not required.
- Recommendations: Enter name and contact information for your recommenders. They will be notified by the system with instructions for submitting their letter online.
- Submit your application: Complete the signature and review sections. Pay the application fee: $75 ($95 for international applicants). Must be paid online with a credit card.